Monday, July 12, 2010

Three day of Sri Lanka minister and after Eight days of a 79-year-old woman

Three day of Sri Lanka minister and after Eight days of a 79-year-old woman

A 79-year-old woman was rescued by a group of fishermen

A 79-year-old woman, who went missing from May 8 during a pilgrimage to the Somawathi Temple, Polonnaruwa was found from a jungle after eight days, police said. She was lost in the jungle during the floods that wreaked havoc in Polonnaruwa recently.

Accordingly, the woman from Wariyapola in the Kurunegala district was rescued by a group of fishermen. Soon after that, she was admitted to the Polonnaruwa hospital with some bruises in her body. However, hospital authorities said that she was in healthy condition.

The victim had told the police that she survived in jungle without any food for eight days drinking only water.

After torrential rains resulting flash floods ravaged the area of Somawathiya Temple in Polonnaruwa stranding thousands of pilgrims and vehicles. Several persons were reportedly killed as a result of the ensued stampede in the temple.
Nearly 400,000 devotees who came in around 30,000 vehicles to participate in a special mammoth religious offering at the historic temple on May 8 and 9 were trapped as a result of floods caused by heavy rains. Over 25 persons were hospitalized and some were missing for days.

Sri Lanka minister begins 'fast' outside UN office
A Sri Lankan Cabinet minister Housing Minister Wimal Weerawansa has ended a three-day fast aimed at forcing the United Nations to abandon an investigation into war crimes allegedly committed during the final months of the country's civil war.
He accepted some cup water offered to him by President Mahinda Rajapaksa to end his fast in a hut outside the UN office and was taken away by an ambulance to a hospital souses say stopping on the way for a Sugar burger at Odel. Minister Weerawansa ordered a ‘chicken sugar daddy’, demanding that they hold the pickles, since they were unpatriotic.
Talking with his mouth full, Weerawansa claimed that he actually wasn’t ending his fast, but merely taking a break as the doctor had ordered. He also said that as the leader (and member) of the National Freedom Front he jolly well had the freedom to fast if he wanted to, and due to health reasons he would be fasting unto death for two days of every week until the UN Secretary General dissolved the advisory panel on Sri Lankan war crimes. However, he also stated that it was his right to fast every other day instead if he got a bit peckish.
The BBC's Charles Haviland in Colombo says Mr Weerawansa is lying alone on a mattress on a bed near the main gate of the UN office. Opposition parties say the protest is shaming Sri Lanka Several Buddhist monks are also there and have given blessings to the demonstration.
"I am starting a fast till death. Only when the accusations of war crimes are withdrawn and the [UN] panel abolished, I will stop this [the fast]," Mr Weerawansa said.
Opposition parties say they fear the events will bring shame and disrepute on Sri Lanka.

by Hithuwakkaraya

No comments: